Thursday, March 19, 2009

I can still remember .....

..... that, when I was in lower secondary school, I used to dread the Home Science Cookery class. I seldom get things right. If I do, my teacher will be fairly surprised.
~~~~~
I remember having to make, for my trial exam (Form 3), among other dishes in the menu, the 'agar-agar santan' just two layers of jelly, with the white coconut milk on the top & the red coloured layer at the bottom ... Guess what ... mine turned out PINK! (I did not allow enough time for the red layer to set, before pouring in the coconut milk layer.) Somehow, I managed to get a borderline pass ... Thanks, Mrs Yeong - you know that I tried my best, right ?
~~~~~
It was always fun time during the school year end exhibition & food-fair. I, automatically will be 'the one' collecting the sale coupons ... because, as I recall, our class made for sale, 'taukwa sumbat' - (beancurd stuffed with shredded cucumber, bean sprout, peanuts and drenched with chilly sauce), i do not belong to the cooking team. Either, I cut the veggies too rough or i'll break the beancurd while frying ... I was labeled to have 'ten thumbs' ... in other words .. 'cannot do delicate work'.
~~~~~
Now ... it is fortunate to have available, shreadders, various kinds of cutter ..., & deep fryer with timing 'beeps' .... whew ... this progress & development has allowed even the impossible, do a good job.
~~~~~
Well, frankly, I am amazed myself, at my own work at times. I thank God, for the discovery of my gift ... it is in me, to somehow, in a given recipe, be convinced that by adding certain ingredients, will bring out & enhance the taste. I'm also fortunate, to have a husband who has a 'sharp tongue' for tastes ... My family members are often my critics .. among them, I shine, where baking is concerned BUT in the kitchen, when it comes to cooking, my husband takes the lead. Even Nasiroh, our valuable domestic helper is catching up now.
~~~~~
Well, if I managed to bake & cook, I believe ANYONE can, too. There are always lots of ideas in the newspapers, internet, TV .. the list goes on ....

No comments:

Post a Comment